Old St. George Cathedral Renovation to Crossroads Uptown
Old Saint George is a former Roman Catholic church that was constructed in 1873. Located in the Clifton neighborhood of Cincinnati, OH, the church closed its doors in 1993. In 2008 the church steeples caught fire, destroying them. In early 2015 Crossroads Church purchased the old church to renovate into their Crossroads Uptown Campus.
The full restoration of Old Saint George was handed by many contractors. SSRG performed 24,000 SF of exterior elevation cleaning, full re-pointing of brick masonry, stone repair and nearly 2,500 deteriorated brick replacement. The 100′ tall south bell towers posed a challenge to the SSRG team. In order to effectively remove the carbon buildup on the facade SSRG utilized a 150′ boom lift and Diedrich’s Envirostore 101 to clean both charred towers.
The results were outstanding. Through our efforts, the carbon buildup melted away, leaving the historic facade shining through. SSRG also repaired and reinforced both the friary and chapel roof by installing significant steel and wood to the structure. Reinforcement of the heavy timber trusses posed significant challenges which were met with creative solutions. In the end, our world-class team completed this work quickly and cost effectively. Crossroads Uptown officially opened its doors to church-goers in August 2016.